Monday, December 18, 2006

2006 has whizzed by, but I will have to confess that for me, 2006 was another wonderful year.

I feel my work is going well at Missions Resource Network. I have held eight workshops this year on different topics – all concerned with missionary care. This allowed me to meet with members of missions’ committees from over 70 different churches. One of the workshops was very special, however. It was held in Brussels, Belgium at the Pan European Lectures. Dr. Steve Allison from ACU and I conducted it together, but what was extra special was being able to be with my children, Rachel & Michel, who live in Holland. It was special to spend a little extra time with them and my granddaughter, Trinity.

I also attended several lectureships, workshops and conferences this year – all of which edified me spiritually and/or helped me maintain/improve my skill level. I taught a short course at Abilene Christian University. It was great to be in the class-room again. And what is even nicer, I got invited to come back and teach on another missionary care topic next summer. Of course, my favorite thing is my involvement with missionaries at every stage of the missionary life cycle. This gives me JOY!

I have finally moved all my stuff to Texas. Moving is some of the most exhausting work I have done in a long time. I couldn’t have done it alone. Good people here and good people in York went all out for me or I would still be moving. It was hard to sell my York house, but God gave me a lovely house only two miles from my home church, Richland Hills Church of Christ My house is very “homey” and welcoming.

It’s good to be near grandchildren in Texas, too. This is Jordan’s last year of high school. She is a beauty and plans to attend ACU and be a part of their new developing soccer team. I went with Parker to his school this year (Grandparent's Day). He is a freshman. I’ve only gotten to do that twice because I have always lived so far away, but it was neat to be with him and meet his teachers. Parker is one good looking boy and will soon be taller than me. Reba has her own business. If you need a meal, she has one for you. Russell still works as a General Account Manager for his company. Reba and Russell are normal parents – they are involved in everything their children do at their two different schools and doubly involved with the Skillman church community where they worship. I don’t know how they do it.

Steve has been down twice to see me already and will be back at Christmas time again. He is partners in a new business – putting cabinets in new homes – and is busy with the band he plays in. They practice at his house in Omaha. They are recording a CD sometime before Christmas. Steve has gotten to be a pretty good song-writer. He wrote a poem just for me at Thanksgiving.

Michel continues to work as a graphic artist and Rachel has decided to go free-lance with her marketing expertise. Trinity began school this month – she turned four on December 12th. School begins around 9 in the morning and lets out at 4 p.m., but there is that two-hour lunch break in between. That means a parent needs to be home. Rachel & Michel are such good parents – when they adopted Trinity, they both went part time so they could be there for her. Trinity’s favorite activity: She loves to put on her princess dress and play princess.

I feel very blessed by God this year. I keep waiting for something bad to happen, and I’m sure it will someday, but I have to say that the good has certainly out-weighed the bad this year. I am sending this to those I think a lot of. I wish you a very blessed Christmas and a joyous New Year.


Love’s Prayers – Dottie Schulz

P.S. I want to pass on something I heard this morning. I hope you appreciate it as much as I: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6631954&sc=emaf

1 Comments:

At 8:22 PM, Blogger Anthony Parker said...

We have also had a blessed year -- now unpacking at our home in Albany. We are hardly starting from scratch --- we probably shipped too much back from Africa and folks in Birmingham were very generous.

I enjoyed listening to the essay by Richard Rohr.

Merry Christmas,
Anthony

 

Post a Comment

<< Home