Thursday, January 22, 2009

But if one of those who don't believe invites you to a meal, and you are inclined to go, eat whatever is set before you, asking no questions for the sake of conscience (I Corinthians 10:27)

I had lunch with a friend this week. Her husband is off on a short-term mission trip in a country where cleanliness is not a priority and eating some foods might make him extremely ill. To alleviate this possibility, he took along some peanut butter and some crackers. When he called home and had only a few minutes to talk before heading into a jungle area without cell phone towers, she only had time to tell him not to eat the peanut butter – it might be contaminated with salmonella (the news is the U.S. about a recall of contaminated peanut butter). Makes one wonder, does it not?

Years ago, after reading Ted Ward’s book, Living Overseas: A Book of Preparations, I have made it my habit to eat, when in doubt, Chinese, or any food that is prepared using very high heat and drinking boiled tea, while avoiding raw, unpeeled foods. I’ve tried to be carefully adventurous. There are some foods I don’t want to try again if I can help it and sickness has been fairly limited thus far…though I carry little bottles of remedies with me everywhere I go. But then again, I had to check out the peanut butter I bought last week. I guess none of us will get out of this world alive.

I found this on Godtube. Hope you enjoy it:
http://www.godtube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=3a62ba7446ede9dbc1bd

Love's Prayers,
Dottie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home